According to the 80 20 Rule, 20% of your team is carrying 80% of the load. If that’s the case, 80% could do substantially more. Have you come to accept the Pareto Principle as a given?
Of course, your performance management structure counts these slackers to make for a nice bell curve. So maybe it’s easier to just let it go. If the 80 20 rule is true, you could be leading better. You should be leading better.
Break the 80 20 Rule.
Engage the rest of the team.
Smoke your results.
Debate with HR on performance distribution on the back-end.
5 Ways to Beat the 80 20 Odds
1. Dig deep into the top 20%
- Understand the source of their commitment
- Recruit your rock stars to inspire the rest of the team
2. Create a Passionate Rally Cry
- Connect everyone to the vision
- Put everyone in the game
- Do the math, determine what you need EVERY person to do.
- Communicate what you need from every member of the team.
3. Understand What Works
- Observe best practices
- Look for specific nuances
- Share stories
- Model and Celebrate behaviors
4. Spend Time With the Outliers
- Identify the skeptics
- Understand their fears
- Observe their behaviors
- Celebrate turnarounds
- Turn skeptics into teachers
5. Develop Skills and Confidence
- Train confidence intervals.
- Recognize every little win