$schemamarkup = get_post_meta(get_the_ID(), 'Schema', true); if(!empty($Schema)) { echo $ Schema ; } Role Models of Confident Humility: Profile #1 Jesus Christ - Let's Grow Leaders

Role Models of Confident Humility: Profile #1 Jesus Christ

by | Dec 24, 2014 | By Karin Hurt, Confident Humility |

When I think of role models of confident humility, it’s hard to imagine a better example than Jesus. Born in a manger, washing feet, hanging out with the poor; yet let’s face it, he had some pretty big asks. From time to time in 2015, I’ll be showcasing examples of leaders across a variety of contexts lead from a place of humble confidence.

This Christmas it seemed only appropriate to start with Jesus. Let’s have some fun with this one in a big virtual Christmas party. Even if you’re not Christian, there’s a lot we can learn from Jesus as a human leader as well. I’ll start with a few ideas, gathered from some of my Lead Change Group friends to get us started.  Grab some cocoa and add your thoughts.

“Confident humility says I can love you and serve you, even if your actions don’t deserve it.” -Chery Gegelman

Confidence

lead from who you are | stand up for what matters | speak the truth

• Calming the raging storm
  • Walking on water
  • Taking on the establishment

“He knew who he was. The attitude of everything he said was confident based on who he was and what he was going to do.” – Mike Henry Sr.

Humility

know your vulnerabilities | admit mistakes | invite challengers

• Washing the disciples feet
  • “Into your hands I commend my spirit:” Submitting to crucifixion
  • Note:  I’m curious– can anyone think of a time where Jesus admits he made a mistake?

Connection

listen carefully | understand perspectives | collaborate endlessly

• As a young boy, confident enough to discuss God with the priests, yet humble enough to submit when Mary and Joseph came back for him.
  • Hanging out with outcasts and children
  • Telling stories

Vision

imagine more | invite bold possibility | do what matters

• Energized a strong, diverse team to drop everything and follow-him
  • Strong ideas that challenged the status quo
  • Drew a compelling picture of life after death

Thanks so much to Randy Conley,  John Smith, Paul Larue, Chery GegelmanMike Henry, Sr, and Paula Kiger for their insights on this topic that served as a basis for this post.

In Search Of Confident, Humble Leaders

Do you know (or know of) a leader who is a role model of confident humility? Well known or not? Please drop me a note for consideration for a 2015 profile in confident humility.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks so much for being such an amazing part of my year.

In Peace and Joy,

Karin

1. Jane

Karin, you did a super bang-up job on this topic. Your key points resonate with me. I share your recognition of the model for true servant leadership. Confidence, Humility, Connection, Vision – love the way you brought the character we should strive for, especially going into the new year. You probably don’t know that I pray for you and your business often. I will continue to pray for many successes and much joy.

• karin hurt

Wow, Jane! Thanks so much. I truly appreciate the kind words and prayers. It’s good to know I’m not the only one praying about LGL 😉 Have a great Christmas.

2. Chery Gegelman

Karin – I love your ongoing focus on confident/humility and agree that you could not have picked a better example!

Earlier this week I opened the book, The Shack, off of my shelf to look for a quote that I remembered, in the process I stumbled across this one…
    “You don’t play a game or color a picture with a child to show your superiority. Rather you choose to limit youself so as to facilitate and honor that relationship. …Relationships are never about power, and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself – to serve.” Wm. Paul Young

• Karin Hurt

Chery, That’s a beautiful quote. Thanks so much for sharing. Spot on.

3. Bill

Merry Christmas, Karin

I just wanted to take a moment and personally thank you for the commitment and effort you have provided to the leadership community through Lets Grow Leaders. I truly wish you the best for this holiday season and a most prosperous year for 2015. You’re one of the best!!

• Karin Hurt

Bill, Thanks so much for being such an important part of the community. Have a great holiday.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Karin Hurt

Steve, Merry Christmas to you my friend, and longest frequent commenter. Namaste.

5. Terri Klass

Beautiful post, Karin and thank you for being the strong, confident and humble leader you are!

Happy Holidays!

Terri

• Karin Hurt

Thanks so much Terri! So glad to have worked with you this year. Excited to see our book finally taking shape. Have a great holiday.

6. Beth Beutler

Great post, Karin.

I can’t think of a time when Jesus admitted a mistake. Some however, may feel that His choice of Judas for His inner circle turned out to be a faux pas. I personally believe even that was all part of the plan and experiences Jesus would have, so that He could relate well with us. Even strong leaders sometimes have someone on their team that rebels, betrays, or at minimum poisons the team with negativity. So it’s nice to know even Jesus could relate with that.

Merry Christmas!

• Karin Hurt

Beth, Great to have you join the conversation. I love your take on that. Thanks for all you do to support LGL.

7. Chuck Bower

Judge not lest ye be judged. Jesus didn’t excuse the prostitute. He forgave her. And he challenged all of the Pharisees present of their judgment to stone her to death. Of course, if Jesus could have asked about the man caught with the prostitute in the act of adultery, that would have been even better.

• Karin Hurt

Chuck. Excellent. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

8. Edward Munoko

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you Karim and all other members on this blog. It has been great following you. Thank you for your energy, determination and all the effort in sharing the weekly leadership knowledge. I will be looking forward to the 2015 theme.

• Karin Hurt

Edward, Thanks so very much! So glad to have you in the community.

9. Bernie Nagle

Even in the face of treachery, betrayal, and violence, Jesus was able to maintain a Restorative approach to every encounter and confrontational situation. He never resorted to Retribution. He embodied a level of emotional and spiritual intelligence that we can all learn from; always rising above pettiness and responding from truth.

Wonderful piece, Karin. Blessed Christmas to you and best wishes for every success in the new year.
    Bernie

• Karin Hurt

Bernie, Excellent add. Thanks so much. Best wishes to you as well.

• Karin Hurt

Paula,
      Thanks so much. I appreciate all of your support and all you do for the Lead Change Group.