You had a perfect vision. Great plans. Strong execution strategy. You worked very hard. You recruited the best talent. Game on.
Oh crap. You didn’t anticipate the change in weather. The new competitor. The newcomers with new ideas. You dig into your plan harder, someone calls you pushy. Your feelings are hurt. You keep pushing. They don’t understand how hard you’ve worked. It’s too late to change now.
Don’t lose vision in pursuit of the plan.
Blurry, But Perfect Vision
When everything appears to be “going wrong” step back. It may be going more “right” than you think.
- Are the obstacles preventing my perfect vision, or changing the way we get there?
- Is this change really bad, or just different?
- Will changing the plan create more supporters?
- Who’s still with me?
- Why am I married to this specific plan?
- Am I leading with confident humility, or just confidence?
- Talk with the team, do they still believe in the vision?
- Discuss the changes in circumstances
- Generate ideas
- Involve them in choices
- Collaborate on solutions
- Build the new plan
- Garnish excitement from the obstacles
- Celebrate wins