I’m always looking for ways to keep remote teams connected. Remote work drives thirst for daily inspiration and touch points. Sharing words helps. Words uncover meaning. Words inform. Words create community.
I emailed my larger team,
“what’s one word that inspires your leadership?”
Powerful responses within 24 hours, over 40% of my team shared their words with their peers. Powerful, easy, fun.
Words Provide Insights
Words offered quick insights. Words revealed values (and therefore what they needed from me). Joe’s word is “challenge,” I’d better stretch him. Sally’s word is “balance,” something may be off.
A Few Highlights
- Persevere: An excellent leader will persevere despite frustration, exhaustion, discouragement or opposition
- Navigation: Anyone can steer the boat, but it takes a leader to determine its course. If you know where you are going, others will come on the journey with you
- Flexibility: It’s important to look at others points of view outside of your own, or change course when necessary. I think we grow more as an organization and as individuals when we are open to the possibilities
- Energy: I believe that everyone carries with them a certain “energy” that determines their way of being. It’s not what you do, but how you do it.”
- Loyalty: I believe that loyalty should be at the core of leadership. You cannot expect a tem to follow your vision if you don’t have loyalty or if they don’t believe their leader is loyal to them.
- Humor: I try to keep things humorous. A happy team is a productive team