Today’s post is a follow-up to our June 21st discussion: What Motives You: 360 degree Perceptions. I challenged you to explore your motivation through introspection and conversation.
- Write down 3 or 4 sentences that you believe truly describe what motivates you.
e.g. “To challenge people to grow toward their full potential”
- Identify 5 or so people you trust to give you candid feedback. Ask them to tell you the complete truth. Then ask, “What do you think motivates me?
- Listen and consider. Jot down your reactions. And your reactions to their comments.
- Join back on July 1st to share whatever feels comfortable. This “was cool. I learned a lot” works, no need for massive self-disclosure. Of course, we’re interested in all you’re willing to share.
Now for fun part, let’s discuss. If you didn’t play, it’s not too late.
I wrestled with how much to share of all this, I don’t want my blog to be about me, but about helping you. Then again, I thought if I shared more deeply, you might too. Please forgive me if this is too much. What motivation makes me wrestle with that dilemma for 3 days?
What I think motives me:
- Growth, mine and others (that’s what gives me a rush)
- Exciting challenges (I love to climb big mountains)
- Accomplishment (and fear of not accomplishing)
- Competition (I do hate to lose)
- Doing the right thing (and changing bad guys)Continue reading