When I think of role models of confident humility, it’s hard to imagine a better example than Jesus. Born in a manger, washing feet, hanging out with the poor; yet let’s face it, he had some pretty big asks. From time to time in 2015, I’ll be showcasing examples of leaders across a variety of contexts lead from a place of humble confidence.
This Christmas it seemed only appropriate to start with Jesus. Let’s have some fun with this one in a big virtual Christmas party. Even if you’re not Christian, there’s a lot we can learn from Jesus as a human leader as well. I’ll start with a few ideas, gathered from some of my Lead Change Group friends to get us started. Grab some cocoa and add your thoughts.
“Confident humility says I can love you and serve you, even if your actions don’t deserve it.” -Chery Gegelman
lead from who you are | stand up for what matters | speak the truth
- Calming the raging storm
- Walking on water
- Taking on the establishment
“He knew who he was. The attitude of everything he said was confident based on who he was and what he was going to do.” – Mike Henry Sr.
know your vulnerabilities | admit mistakes | invite challengers
- Washing the disciples feet
- “Into your hands I commend my spirit:” Submitting to crucifixion
- Note: I’m curious– can anyone think of a time where Jesus admits he made a mistake?
listen carefully | understand perspectives | collaborate endlessly
- As a young boy, confident enough to discuss God with the priests, yet humble enough to submit when Mary and Joseph came back for him.
- Hanging out with outcasts and children
- Telling stories
imagine more | invite bold possibility | do what matters
- Energized a strong, diverse team to drop everything and follow-him
- Strong ideas that challenged the status quo
- Drew a compelling picture of life after death
Thanks so much to Johann Gauthier, Randy Conley, Jane Anderson, John Smith, Paul Larue, Chery Gegelman, Bill Treasurer, Mike Henry, Sr, and Paula Kiger for their insights on this topic that served as a basis for this post.
In Search Of Confident, Humble Leaders
Do you know (or know of) a leader who is a role model of confident humility? Well known or not? Please drop me a note for consideration for a 2015 profile in confident humility.
Thanks so much for being such an amazing part of my year.
In Peace and Joy,