So, you want a mentor. Now what?
Where? Who? How to approach?
First, let me say this. I have NEVER been offended by anyone who has asked me for career advice , or wanting to know me better. I love to help. I have always said yes to anyone who approached me with the “M” word (although those folks usually don’t stick around when they approach that way it’s normally because someone told them to, or they just read a book).
Also, I have NEVER had someone tell me they are too busy to talk about such subjects. Every time I ask, I get a great story, and often a life long friend.
If you are feeling scared just ask. The results may surprise you.
Once they say yes, like a good first date, have a plan.
Some questions to consider in your preparation:
- Why are you here? Why them?
- What do you want them to know about you? (Once again, time for that Elevator Speech)
- What do you want to know about their story? Ask some questions.
- What is your big career plan? What are your next steps?
- What do they already know about you (what is your brand with them, with others?)
- What worries you most open up a bit
- Does this feel right? If so, ask if it would be okay to meet again?