The term“hot mess” typically refers to someone disheveled on the outside with some redeeming qualities on the inside. Urban dictionary defines a “hot mess” as
” when one’s thought or appearance are in a state of disarray, but they maintain an undeniable attractiveness or beauty”
Leaders can go a long way by getting clothes that fit, shoes that shine, and well-kept hair and nails.
Work on your magnetism. Refrain from stupid outbursts. You will have another leg up.
It’s important to avoid being a “hot mess”.
Cleaning up the outside matters.
The more dangerous problem is when the “hot” is on the outside and the “mess” is on the inside.
In other words, you look the part,
You have a strong leadership presence.
But, you don’t operate with integrity or care about your team.
It’s tricky, because your connections or image may open doors.
A seat at the table must be used carefully.
A Few Signs You’re a Hot Mess Leader
- You spend more time planning your outfit than your presentation
- You make your team cater to your maintenance needs
- You learn all you can about your boss, but know very little about those who work on your team
- You never get past the small talk at events
- The spend more time on networking than leading
- (what would you add?)
The truth is, as leaders, sometimes we are “hot” and sometimes we are “messy” on both the inside and the outside.
We need good mirrors for both.