Stupid work includes…
- reinforcing policies without thinking
- making decisions that lose customers
- generating reports no one uses
- focusing on trivial matters when the sky is falling around them
- _______ I’ll stop here to let you fill in the blank.
- If you find that cathartic here’s a few more blanks___________, ___________.
Bottom line, If it feels stupid it probably is.
Forest Gump said “stupid is as stupid does…” But I know the truth. Stupid is as stupid leads.
Why Do People Do Stupid Work?
- it’s not their job
- they don’t want to step on anyone’s toes
- it’s always been done that way
- they think I want it done that way
- their boss thinks I want it done that way
- their boss’s boss’s boss, thinks my boss wants it done that way…
And so the stupidity continues.
Lead for S.M.A.R.T.
If something feels stupid, it probably is. Say something.
get More information
Ask questions. Understand the context. Reach across silos.
Own the problem. Work to find a solution.
Determine what’s important. Do that first.
and Try another approach.
Consider alternatives, ask for ideas, try something new.
How do you encourage smart decisions?